1. It is the staple food crop for more than 60% of the world people.
2. In other countries attractive ready to eat products, which have, long shelf life eg. popped and puffed rice, instant or rice flakes, canned rice and fermented products are produced.
3. Protein is present in aleuron and endosperm 6 to 9% and average is 7.5%.
4. Rice straw is used as cattle feed, used for thatching roof and in cottage industry for preparation of hats, mats, ropes, sound absorbing straw board and used as litter material.
5. Rice husk is used as animal feed, for paper making, as fuel source.