Best Viewed in Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome

Rice facts

24
Jun

ఎన్ని రంగుల బియ్యమో! / Types of coloured rice

File Courtesy: 
Eenadu Telugu Magazine Dt : 23.06.2013
Photo Courtesy: 
Eenadu Telugu Magazine Dt : 23.06.2013
17
Dec

Things You May Not Have Known About Rice

Rice vs Other Grains

Cereal yields are generally higher in temperate areas than in tropical countries.

Rice has the highest extraction rate of any cereal, meaning when considering the fraction of each grain utilized to as food, rice produces more energy per hectare than any other cereal.

Total food protein per production hectare for rice is second only to wheat.  However, when the superior quality of rice protein is considered, the yield per hectare of utilizable protein is actually higher for rice than for wheat.

Four Major Rice Ecosystems

Irrigated Rice: Spend more to make more. Irrigated rice consists of about 55% of global rice area and about 75% of global rice production - thanks to typically higher yields. However, the higher yields typically mean more purchased input costs. Irrigated rice areas are mostly concentrated in humid and sub humid subtropics and humid tropics. 

Rainfed Lowland Rice: Accounts for about 25% of global rice area and about 17% of global rice production. Rainfed rice is found in South and Southeast Asia. Rice is transplanted or direct-seeded into puddled soil on level to slight sloping, bunded (diked) fields that are flooded for at least part of the cropping season – leaving the crop vulnerable to a lack of water control. Farmers grow traditional, photoperiod-sensitive varieties and rely more on labor than purchasing inputs.

Upland Rice: Consists of about 13% of global rice area and about 4% of global rice production, due to extremely low yields. Upland rice is grown without standing water. Despite the low yields this is the dominant rice culture in parts of Latin America and West Africa.

Flood-Prone Rice: Accounts for about 9% of global rice area and about 4% of world production, due to low yields as a result of problem soils and unpredictable droughts and floods.  This includes both deep-water rice and floating rice. About 90% is farmed in South and Southeast Asia  with the remaining 10% farmed in parts of West Africa and South America.

File Courtesy: 
http://oryza.com/Rice-News/17166.html
13
Jul

Rice crop absorbs nearly 100 kg of Silicon

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Longest rice noodle

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Longest dosa (rice flour pancake)

 

13
Jul

Gluten free and the most non-allergenic grain

 

Tags:
13
Jul

One cup (160grams) of cooked brown rice contains around 2.4grams of dietary fiber

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Golden Rice could supply half of the vitamin A needed every day

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Rice Bran, is an excellent source of thiamin, niacin, vitamin B-6, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and fiber

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Brown rice contains more nutrients and fiber than white rice

 

Tags:
13
Jul

White and brown rice contain essential vitamins and minerals

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Average Asian consumer eats 150 kg of rice annually compared to the average European who eats 5 kg

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Rice contains negligible amounts of sodium, with less than 5 milligrams of sodium per 100 grams of rice

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Rice is low in fat and cholesterol free

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Rice protein is considered as one of the highest quality proteins

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Rice is an excellent source of energy, especially carbohydrates

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Apong is the traditional alcoholic beverage made from rice in Arunachal Pradesh

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Liquor called sura from wild rice flour was prepared and consumed since the Vedic period

 

13
Jul

Hadia is a popular beverage of Jharkhand

 

Tags:
13
Jul

Saki is rice based alcoholic beverage, traditionally called as rice wine

 

Tags:
Syndicate content
Copy rights | Disclaimer | RKMP Policies