PrintSend to friend
1. Common name- Brown plant leafhopper.
2. Scientific name - Nilaparvata lugens.
3. Vernacular name - pogayan ( புகையான்) .
Symptoms of damage of Brown plant leafhopper:
• Nymphs and adults congregate at the base of the plant above the water level.
• Affected plant dries up and gives a scorched appearance called “hopper burn”.
• Circular patches of drying and lodging of matured plant .
• It is vector of grassy stunt, ragged stunt and wilted stunt diseases.
Identification of Brown plant leafhopper.
• Adult: Brown body and chestnut brown eyes. It has two forms viz., (Macropterous (long winged) and brachypterous (short winged)).
Management of Brown plant leafhopper.
• Use resistant/tolerant varieties like Aruna, ADT 36, Co 42, Co 46 IR 36, IR 72.
• Avoid close planting • To provide 30 cm rogue spacing at every 2.5 m to reduce the pest incidence.
• Avoid use of excessive nitrogenous fertilizers.
• Control irrigation by intermittent draining.
• Set up light traps during night.
• Yellow pan traps during day time.
• Conserve natural enemies like Lycosa pseudoannulata, Cyrtorhinus lividipennis.
• Avoid synthetic pyrethroids, methyl parathion, fenthion and quinalphos causing resurgence.
• Drain the water before the use of insecticides .
• Apply any one of the following o Phosphamidon 40 SL@ 1000 ml/ha, o Monocrotophos 36 SL @ 1250 ml/ha o Carbofuran 3 G @ 17.5 kg/ha o Imidacloprid 18.5@ 100 ml/ha o Thiomethoxam 20 WDG@ 100 ml/ha