PrintSend to friend
• Title Central sector scheme for implementation of legislation on plant varieties and farmers rights protection
• Types Central Sector
• Objectives To provide requisite strength to the seed sector to fulfill the obligation under TRIPS agreement of WTO
• Salient features 1. Establishment of plant variety and farmers rights protection authority. 2. Strengthening and development of identified centers for various tests viz. Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability (DUS) for granting Plant Breeder's rights.
• Pattern of Assistance 1. One time grant for strengthening of DUS centers as per the norms prescribed under the scheme. 2. Meeting out expenditure of plant variety and farmer's rights Protection Authority.
• Eligibility 1. Selected ICAR centers, State Agriculture University Research centers, GOT farms of seed certification agencies and seed multiplication farms of SFCI, Sate Seed Corporations and NSC. 2. Plant variety and Farmer's Rights Protection Authority.
• Procedures to apply The identified centers for DUS testing furnish the proposal for grants based on approved norms of the Scheme
• Person to be contacted The Joint Secretary,
Seeds Division ,
Department Agriculture and Cooperation
Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi
• Date of Start/duration The Scheme is in operation since 1999-2000.
• Implementation Status The scheme is a statutory requirement for implementing of plant varieties and farmers rights legislation. The establishment of plant variety and farmers Rights Protection Authority will grant plant Breeder's Rights and cater to the need of entire India.
• Additional information The Plant variety and farmers Right Protection Authority will grant plant Breeder's Rights based on the DUS test.