PrintSend to friend
Dapog method of Nursery
Dapog method of raising nursery consists of growing seedlings on a concret floor or a raised soil bed covered with polyethelene sheets. The method is used especially in places where supply of water in the seed-bed is dependable.
1. Seed rate: 25-35 kg/ha seed
2. Seed treatment: Dry seed treatment: Seeds are treated with fungicide like Bavistin or Thiram @ 2 g/kg of seeds, 24 hours before sowing and the seeds are treated with Azospirillum at 600g per ha of seeds.
3. Wet seed treatment: Treat seeds in Carbendazim or Pyroquilon or Tricyclozole solution at 2 g/lit of water for 1 kg of seed. Soak the seeds in the solution for 2 hrs. Drain the solution, sprout the seeds and sow in the nursery bed. It gives protection to the seedlings up to 40 days from seedling disease such as blast. The seeds are soaked for 10 hrs. Drain the excess water. Keep the seeds in gunny bags in dark room and cover with extra gunnies for 24 hrs for sprouting.
4. Nursery area: 25 to 35 sq.m. of area is enough to raise seedlings.
5. Nursery bed preparation: Nursery beds are prepared on a concret floor or a raised soil bed covered with polyethelene sheets.
6. Sowing: Pre-germinated seeds should be sown on top of the cover at the rate of one kg per sq. meter of nursery.
7. Watering: The germination seeds should be sprinkled with water and pressed down lightly by hand or with a wooden flat board twice a day for 3 to 6 days. This operation keeps the roots of the seedlings is contact with water retained on the surface and prevents their drying. After this period, the seed bed should be irrigated continuously to a depth of 1 to 2 cm of water.
8. Fertilizer management: For every 100 m2 area of the seedbed, about 0.5–1.0 kg of nitrogen, 0.5 kg of phosphorous and 0.5 kg of potash fertilizers should be applied. In addition to chemical fertilizers, FYM might be applied at 250 kg/100 m2 before seed bed preparation.
9. Age of transplanting: Seedlings are raised faster by this method and get ready within 9 to 14 days or sowing regardless of the duration for the variety used.
- Less area is needed to raise seedlings.
- Seedlings are raised faster by this method.
This method facilitates the use of rice seedlings in unfavourable situation.