PrintSend to friend
Profile of the Farmer
- Name of the Farmer: Shri Ramkrishna Barman
- Location: Dist. Cooch Behar, West Bengal
- Date of Birth and Age as on 31 January 2011 :2.04.1978; 32 years
- Educational Qualification: M.A. (History)
- Landholding (in hectare): 1.50 ha
- Rice farming Experience (in years): 12 years
- Cropping system adopted by farmer :Rice-Mustard/Potato -Rice, Rice-mustard/Potato
DETAILS OF INNOVATION
Title and Nature of Innovation: Farmer Participatory Seed Production of Rice.
Description of innovation: The farmers of Sitalkutchi and Unishbisha who involve in seed production under the guidance of UBKV were brought under one umbrella forming a Self Help Group (SHG)- Suphala Beej Swanirbhar Gosthi, registered by DRDC, Cooch Behar. The official address of the SHG is Paglarhat, Dewankotjoyduar P.O., Sitalkuchi, Mathabhanga. This SHG is producing Certified and Foundation
seeds of different varieties of rice, potato, pulses and mustard.
Problem Statement (How a particular problem was solved by the innovation): The major field crops of northern part of Bengal are rice, potato and jute. The seed replacement rate of these crops is not up to the mark, for example, seed replacement rate of rice is about 27%, for potato it is very poor- 3% only. The seed replacement rates reflect the use of substandard seed by the farmers for crops cultivation in West Bengal. The farmers of northern parts of West Bengal are less aware regarding advantage of quality seeds in agriculture production system as compared to southern parts of West Bengal. There is shortage of Certified Seeds of desirable crop as well as new rice varieties. The cost of certified seed of rice variety is very high. Here, the traders enjoy the maximum profit out of the monopoly as well as scarcity of quality seed/seed materials.
Process of technology development:
Initial guidance by Dr. Bidhan Roy, Assitant Professor (Genetics and Plant Breeding), RRS, Terai Zone, Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Pundibari, Cooch Behar 736 165 and Assitant Director of Agriculture (Seed Certification), Department of Agriculture, Office of the Additional Director of Agriculture, Jalpaiguri, West Bengal.
- Formation of Self Help Group
- Production of Certified and Foundation seed of rice
- Sale of quality seed directly to the local farmers at a reasonable price
- The productivity of the rice varieties improved
Recognition for the innovation:
- Certificate from B.D.O. Sitalkuchi, Cooch Behar Dist.,West Bengal
- Selected for Implementation Hub in this district under RKVY 2008-09
- Selected for Vermi-compost unit