PrintSend to friend
1. Common name- Leaf folder (or) leaf roller .
2. Scientific name - Cnaphalocrocis mainsails / Marasmia patnalis.
3. Vernacular name - Elai suruttupuzhu ( இலை சுருட்டுப்புழு ).
Symptom of damage of Leaf folder :
• Leaves fold longitudinally and larvae remains inside.
• Larvae scrapes the green tissues of the leaves and becomes white and dry.
• During severe infestation the whole field exhibits scorched appearance.
Identification of Leaf folder
• Egg - Flat, oval in shape and yellowish white in colour.
• Larva - Greenish translucent
• Adult - Moth is brownish with many dark wavy lines in centre and dark band on margin of wings.
Management of Leaf folder
• Resistant varieties: TNAU LFR 831311, Cauveri, Akash, TKM 6.
• Clipping of the affected leaves.
• Keep the bunds clean.
• Avoid excessive nitrogenous fertilizers.
• Light traps to attract and kill moths.
• Release Trichogramma chilonis @ 1, 25,000/ha thrice.
• Spray NSKE 5 % or carbaryl 50 WP 1 Kg or chlorpyriphos 20 EC 1250 ml/ ha.