PrintSend to friend
1. Common name- Mealybug .
2. Scientific name - Brevennia rehi.
3. Vernacular name - Mavuppoochi ( மாவுப்பூச்சி )
Identification of Mealybug:
Adult - Small reddish white, soft-bodied wingless insect covered with filamentous materials.
Damage of Mealybug :
• Large number of insects remains in leaf sheath and suck the sap.
• Plants become week, yellowish and very much stunted in circular patches.
• Presence of white waxy fluff in leaf sheaths .
Management of Mealybug.
• Durin field preparation - remove the grasses from the bunds and trim the bunds.
• Remove and destroy the affected plants.
• Spray any one of the following insecticides in the initial stage of infestation o dimethoate 30 EC 500 ml/ha o methyl demeton 25 EC@ 500 ml/ha. o Conserve the natural enemies like Scymnus sp.,Anatrichus pygmaeus, and Mepachymerus ensifer