PrintSend to friend
1. Common name - Paddy stemborer .
2. Scientific name - Scirpophaga incertulas.
3. Vernacular name - Thandu thulaippan (தண்டுத்துளைப்பான்).
Symptom of damage of Paddy stemborer:
• Presence of brown coloured egg mass near leaf tip.
• Caterpillar bore into central shoot of paddy seedling and tiller.
• Causes drying of the central shoot known as “dead heart” .
• Grown up plant whole panicle becomes dried “white ear”.
Identification of insect pest of Paddy stemborer:
• Egg - Laid in a mass and covered with buff coloured hairs.
• Larva - Pale yellow with dark brown head.
• Pupa - White silken cocoon.
• Adult • Female moth - bright yellowish brown fore wings with a black spot possess a tuft of yellow hairs.
• Male moth - Smaller with pale yellow forewings without black spot