PrintSend to friend
1. Common name - Rice horned caterpillar .
2. Scientific name - Melanitis ismene.
3. Vernacular name - Pachhai kombupuzhu ( பச்சை கொம்புப்புழு ).
Damage of Rice horned caterpillar :
• Larva feeds on leaf blades of rice.
• Leaves are defoliated from the margin or tip irregularly.
Identification of Rice horned caterpillar:
• Egg - White eggs singly on the leaves is green.
• Larva - Lightly flattened with two red horns processes on the head.
• Two yellow processes in the anal end .
• Pupa - Chrysalis, which suspends from the leaf.
• Adult - dark brown with large wings having a black .
• yellow eye like spot one on each of the fore wings.
Management of Rice horned caterpillar:
• Spray endosulfan 35 EC 1000 ml / ha or monocrotophos 36 WSC 500 ml / ha.