PrintSend to friend
Local name :
Nature of damage:
1. Nymphs and adults suck the sap from the tender roots.
2. In heavy infestation seedlings' growth is stunted, become pale yellow in colour and do not flower.
3. The infestation starts in vegetative stage 25 -30 days after sowing and continues till ripening.
Management of Rice Root aphid:
1. Several natural enemies are recorded: a braconid wasp Aphidius sp. and a mermithid nematode Mermis sp. are recorded parasites of nymphs and adults.
2. Coccinellids such as Menochilus sexmaculatus (Fabricius) and Harmonia octomaculata (Fabricius) feed on nymphs and adults.