PrintSend to friend
1. The rot occurs on the uppermost leaf-sheaths where oblong to irregular and grey-brown to light-brown lesions develop.
2. The lessons often coalesce to cover the entire sheath. In severe cases, young panicles either do not emerge or emerge partially.
3. A white- powdery growth of the fungus appears on the panicle inside the sheath. The glumes of infected florets are discoloured, dark-red or purple brown to black and often do not fill.
4. The fungus over-winters in rice straw and grains. Burn the rice straw after harvesting the infected crop.
5. Use disease free seed for sowing. Give two sprays of Tilt 25 EC @ 200 ml or Bavistin 50 WP @ 200 gm in 200 litres of water per acre. The first spray should be given at boot stage and second after 15 days interval.
Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana