PrintSend to friend
1. Common name - Spiny beetle / Rice hispa.
2. Scientific name - Dicladispa armigera.
3. Vernacular name - Mule vandu ( முள் வண்டு ).
Symptoms of damage of Spiny beetle:
• Adults feed on chlorophyll by scraping and causing white parallel streaks.
• White patches along with long axis of leaf.
• Grubs mine into the leaves and make blister near leaf tips.
Identification of Spiny beetle / Rice hispa ( Mule vandu ):
• Larva - Grub is minute, flat and yellow.
• Adult - Blue - black shiny beetle with spines on the thorax and elytra.
Management of Spiny beetle / Rice hispa:
• Leaf tip containing blotch mines should be destroyed.
• Manual collection and killing of beetles – hand nets.
• Spray endosulfan 35 EC @1000ml/ha.