PrintSend to friend
1. Common name- Swarming caterpillar.
2. Scientific name - Spodoptera mauritia .
3. Vernacular name - Nel Padaipuzhu ( நெல் படைப்புழு).
Symptom of damage of Swarming caterpillar
• Larvae cut the seedlings in large scale .
• Severe infestation - cattle grazing appearance to the field.
• They feed gregariously and march from field to field.
Identification of insect pest of Swarming caterpillar
• Egg - Laid in masses on leaves and covered with grey hairs.
• Larva - Caterpillar is cylindrical dark to pale green with lateral lines along the body.
• Pupa - Pupates in an earthen cocoon in soil.
• Adult - Moth is medium sized stoutly build.
• Dark brown with a conspicuous triangular spot on fore wings.
Management of Swarming caterpillar:
• Kerosenate the water while irrigation – suffocation .
• Allow ducks into the field Nursery .
• Drain the water.
• Spray chlorpyriphos 20 EC 80ml or endosulfan 35 EC 80ml + 20 lit of water for 8 cents