Rice growing soils of Andhra Pradesh
1. Andhra Pradesh is endowed with a wide variety of soils, ranging from less fertile coastal sands to highly fertile and productive deltaic alluvia (enti soils/verti sols) of the Godavari, Krishna and Pennar rivers and the red (alfisol) and black (verti sols) soils, developed from different parent materials.
2. The six major soil groups present in the state are
- red soils (Alfi sols 65%), black soils (verti sols 25%),
- alluvial soils (Entisols and verti sols 5%)
- Coastal sands (Enti sols 3%),
- laterite and lataitic soils (Oxisols) and
- problem soils (Alfi sols & Incepti sols 1%) including
- saline, saline alkali and non saline-alkali soils.