|Package of Practices
- A compendium of state specific and location specific recommended package of practices are provided under this head. You may be interested to see that, thanks to our IP based customisation, that only your state (the state from where you are accessing RKMP) specific information is available.
- You are on travel? Please select the state to which you belong. You have access to your state specific content as well.
- Look for the related information heads on right side box. Click on any of them to get the access to the appropriate information.
Time of Harvesting:
Harvesting is done in three seasons:
- In kharif season the crop is harvested during October-November.
- In Rabi/Winter season the crop is harvested during April-May.
- In Summer season the crop is harvested during June-July.
- The discoloured grains are found associated with fungi like Helminthosporium sp., Curvularia lunata, Saracladium oryzae, Alternaria tenuis, Fusarium moniliforme, Cephalosporium sp. and Phoma sp.
- The disease appears on the grains during the maturity stage when there is incessant rains.
- The disease is more severe during 2nd season.
- Seed treatment with Thiram or captan @ 1gm/Kg of seed.
- Spray Mancozeb @ 1 Kg or IBP 500 ml or Carbendazim @ 250 gm/ha at boot leaf stage.
Rice Tungro Virus: RTV
Causal Organism: The virus is transmitted by the Green leaf hopper N. virescens and N. niggropictus.
- The diseased plants exibit orange yellow discolouration of leaves from the tip downwards.
- The young leaves show mosaic mottling. The plants are dwarfed with poor tillering and become sterile.
- Grow resistant varieties like IR-20, Ratna etc.
- Spray Dyzinon a.i. @ 1.5 Kg/ha 5 times. First spray10 days after sowing and rest after transplanting at 15, 30, 45 and 60 days.
- Use light trap to attract and control the leaf hopper vector.
Casual Organism: Saracladium Oryzae
- The Diseases affects at booting stage.
- The uppermost leaf sheath enclosing the young panicle shows oblong or irregular spots with grey centre and brown margin.
- The boot leaf becomes brownish black and rotten.
- The grains ill filled and discoloured.
- The disease spreads through airborne conidia.
- Closer planting high humidity and low temp. (25-30 C), injuries caused by earhead bug and mealy bugs, predispose the plants to infection.
- Application of gypsum @ 500 Kg/ha basally or in two equal splits (basal and tillering stage).
- Spray Bavistin @ 500 gm or Endofil –M 45 @ 2.5 Kg /ha, Dimecron or Metasystox along with Edifenphos @ 500 ml or Carbendazim @ 250 gm or Mancozeb @ 1 Kg/ha at boot leaf stage.
Casual Organism: Rhizoctonia Solani
- The disease affects at tillering stage.
- The infection starts in the form elliptical or oval greenish grey spots appearing on the leaf sheaths near the water level.
- These enlarge as irregular, elongated spots with white centre brown margin and progressively spread upwards on stem and leaves.
- The entire plant is blighted and dries up.
- A dry spell followed by shower, high relative humidity, closer planting, excess N application favors to spread the disease.
- Grow resistant varieties like Rajendra Dhan 201, IR 36, IR 20, Saket, Prabhat, Turant Dhan, Raj Shree etc.
- Seed treatment with Carbendazim @ 2 gm/Kg of seed.
- Adequate drainage facilities to be provided.
- Spray Streptocyclin 250 gm and Blitox 50 E.C. @ 2.5 Kg in 1000 lit. of water 3 times at 10-15 days interval, Endofil –M 45 @ 3 gm/ lit. of water.
Casual Organism: Helminthosporium Oryzae
- The leaves show oval shaped foliar spots with yellow halo.Severely affected field presents a reddish appearance.
- Grain become discoloured.
- Grow resistant varieties like IR-24, Bala, Krishana etc.
- Seed treatment with Thiram or Carbendazim @ 2 g/Kg of seeds.
- Spray Edifenphos @ 500 ml/ha or Mancozeb @ 1 Kg/ha.
- Application of Neem coated urea.
Casual Organism : Pyricularia Grisera
The leaves show spindle shaped spots with grey centre and dark brown margin.
The lesions enlarge and cause drying of leaves. The nodes and neck regions turn black and cause rotting and breaking with complete/partial chaffiness of earhead.
Intermittent drizzles, cloudy and overcast conditions, long dew periods, continuous low night temperature (below 20 degree celcious), high relative humidity and susceptible varieties spread disease.
Grow resistant varieties like IR 20 IR-8, Jaya, Pankaj Ratna etc.
Seed treatment with Agrosan G.N. or Seresan or Thiram or Carbendazim @ 2 g/Kg of seeds. (c) Spray 0.1 % Hinosan 50 E.C. (4-5 times), Carbendazim 250 gm or Tricyclazole 75 wp @ 500 gm/ha.
Management of Snails and Rats
(1) Effective control of snails to collect their eggs and dip in 10% salt solution.
(2) To kill the snails apply Carbofuron 3G @ 25 Kg/ha.
(1) Aluminium Phosphoric – keep 3 gm pillets in each live burrow and close the hole with mud.
(2) Zinc Phosphoid – Mix 1 gm Zinc Phosphoid with 40 parts edible flour + linseed oil and make 5 gm pillets as bait.
(3) Bromodiolon : Keep 15-20 gm poisonous bait in each burrow.
Symptoms of damage:
1. The adult beetles feed on the epidermal tissue of the leaves and the grubs mine the leaf tissue and pupate there.
2. The beetles scrape the chlorophyll between the veins of the lamina resulting in whitish parallel streaks. Later, owing to indiscriminate feeding even on leaf veins, white blotches appear on leaves.
3. In severe epidemics leaves dry up and the crop presents a scorched appearance.
1. Drain out the field.
2. For chemical control apply Endosulfan 35 E.C. @ 1.25 lit./ha or Quinolphos 25 E.C. @ 1.25 lit./ha or Phosphymidon 85 E.C.@ 300 ml/ha.
Brown & Green Hopper
Symptoms of damage:
1. The leafhoppers attack all the stages of the plant. Both adults and nymphs cause direct damage by sucking plant sap leading to stunted growth and reduced tillering.
2. At high population levels their feeding results in the drying of the plants and the infested paddy fields appear blighted. Infestation at the time of panicle emergence affects grain formation.
3. Apart from direct damage the insect is also a carrier of tungro disease causing virus.
1. To control both types of hopper apply Furadon 3G granules @ 30 Kg per hectare or Thimate 10 % @ 10 Kg/ha or Dimecron 100E.C. @ 0.5 ml in one litre of water or Rogor 30 E.C. @ 1.75 ml in one litre of water.