1. Harvest paddy rice at the right moisture content (20-25%).
2. At maturity, about 80% of the grains turn yellow whilst part of the stems and leaves remains green.
3. Panicle maturity normally occurs at about 28-34 days after heading.
4. Timely harvest will reduce yield loss due to:
• Grain shattering.
• Cracking of grains in the field and grain breakage during milling.
• Lodging and grain discolouration, under wet weather.
• Birds and rodent attack.
5. In the north, delayed harvest may result in complete field loss through bush fire.