Symptom of attack of Earhead bug/ Gundhi bug : Leaves turn yellow and later rusted from tip downwards. Appearance of numerous brownish spots at the feeding sites / shrivelling of grains.
In the case of heavy infestation, the whole earhead may become devoid of mature grains. Its presence in the field is made out by i
1. Spray monocrotophos 36 WSC @ 1500 ml ha-1 or endosulfan 35 EC @ 1500 ml ha-1or carbaryl 50 WP @ 1500 g ha-1during afternoon hours.
2. Dust malathion or carbaryl @ 30 kg of the formulation/ha.
Egg: Eggs are circular, brownish seed like, 2 mm long, laid in clusters in two rows along the midrib on the upper surface of the leaf-blade.
Nymph: First instar is small, 2 mm long, pale green in colour, which grows to deepen green through different instars.
Adult: Adults are greenish yellow, long and slender, above ½ inch in length with a characteristic buggy odour.
Family : Alydidae
Scientific name : Leptocorisa acuta
1.Practice proper sanitation. Clean tools after used. Avoid movements of working animals and yourself from infested to non-infested areas the same day.
2. Mealybugs can be transported from one area to another through farm tools and equipments, trellis materials, plant parts, and working animals .Infested plants and plant parts should not be used as mulch. These should be removed from fields and destroyed .
3.Control and kill ants. Flood and plow the fields. This will destroy ant c
Egg: The female lays numerous yellowish white eggs/ simply deposits nymphs in outer leaf sheaths.
Nymph: The newly hatched nymphs crowded within the waxy threads for 6-10 h before they disperse to various parts of the same plant. The pale yellowish nymph is active and crawls about the plant for a while and settled itself on the plant/ stem and turns dark yellow after a day. Body gets covered with waxy material on second day.
Symptom of attack of Mealy bug: The infestation starts in plants one or two month after transplanting. Stunted, circular patches may be seen in the fields. If such plants are pulled out and teased the insects can be seen at the base of the leaves and leaf sheaths.
Nature of damage of Mealy bug: Large number of the
Family : Pseudococcidae
Scientific name : Brevennia rehi
1.Draining rice fields can be effective in reducing initial infestation levels. The field should be drained for 3 - 4 days when heavy infestations occur.
2. Provide alley ways in the main field. For provision of alley ways leave 30 cm gap after every 2m planting in main field.
3. Egg parasitoids: Anagrus sp, Gonatocerus sp., Oligosita spp.
Nymphal/adult parasitoids: Haplogonatopus sp., Ecthrodelphax fairchildii., Elenchus sp (Sterpsiptera), Hexamermis sp (Mermithid).
1. Egg: Cylindrical eggs are laid in groups when the rice plant is small but in the upper part of the rice plant when the plant is large. (They are laid with the micropylar end protruding from the tissue, the operculum is long and narrow. The eggs in a group are not sealed together by the material secreted by female.)
2. Nymph: White to a strongly mottled dark grey or black and white in colour and 0.6 mm size when young. Fifth instar nymph with a narr