1. Choose a well levelled field with good
water control and drainage system.
2. Choose the high yielding varieties with high tillering ability possessing resistance to major pests and diseases.
3. Choose healthy and bold seeds and raise the nursery carefully in specified area.
4. Apply water with rose can twice a day in the nursery.
5. 8-12 day old seedlings (2 leaf stage) with intact soil are ideal for planting in Kharif. During rabi season under cold temperatures seedling age at planting may go up to 18-20 days (till 2 leaf seedling age). Better to consider the 2 leaf stage criteria to decide the age of seedlings for planting as the criteria is season neutral.
6. Transfer the nursery with seed and soil adhered to the seedlings (supply the nursery in the tray within an hour).
7. Nursery to be lifted without disturbance and transferred to main field for planting as per need.
8. Perfect levelling of main field is needed and drainage channels should be made all along the field to drain out excess water.
9. Monitor the crop at regular intervals.
10. Prefer using organic manures and bio- fertilizers for ensuring soil health and good yields.
11. Irrigation should be given a day prior to weeding and weeding should be done with a cono weeder 3-4 times.