1. Eastern Uttar Pradesh carries a geographical area of 8.844sq. It covers the districts namely, Bahraich,Balia,Basti,Gonda,Allahabad,Gorakhpur,Maharajganj,Deoria,Padrauna,Azamgarh,Mau,Varanasi,Chandauli,Jaunpur, Amedernagar,Sultanpur,Faizabad Ghazipur,Mizzapur,Sonbhadra, Sant ravidas nagar, Sant kabirnagar,Siddarthnagar and Pratapgarh.
2. It lies in middle ganga velley. It has a level topography excepting the southern upland of mirzapur, sonbhadra districts and vindhyan formations of Allahabad districts.
3. Its northern part covering the part of areas of Gonad, Bahraich,Basti,Deoria,Gorakhpur, Padrona, Siddarathanagar, and Maharajgaj are occupied by tarai region in a width of nearly 250km in adjoining Himalayan tract.
4. It has a mid and sub-humid climate with moderate seasonal and annual variability of rainfall. The saryu-par plain as wellas the Ghagra-ganga Doeb are flood prone whereas Yamunapar region of Allahabad district and parts of Mirzapur, Varanasi, and Sonbhadra districts are drought prone.
5. Eastern uttar Pradesh has a characteristics subsistence agriculture zone with low agricultural efficiency. Its net cultivates area is 8.498 million ha.
6. The irrigation intensity in eastern U.P. is low and further level of irrigation development remains very meager in the districts of Allahabad, Mirzapur, Sonbhadra, Bahriach, and Gonad.