PrintSend to friend
1. Rice paper usually refers to paper made from parts of the rice plant, like rice straw or rice flour.
2. Rice paper has been used for centuries in Japan and China for writing and artwork. It is liked because of its distinct texture and slight translucent appearance.
3. Rice straw can be processed into simple paper, which is used as cigarette paper, for lamp shades or partition walls.
4. Finer paper also can be made from it, especially together with hemp. Edible rice paper is used for making fresh summer rolls in Vietnamese cuisine, Ingredients of the food rice paper include white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, and water.
5. The tapioca powder makes the rice paper glutinous and smooth. It is usually sold dried in thin, crisp, translucent round sheets that are wrapped in cellophane. The sheets are dipped briefly in hot water to soften them, and then wrapped around savory or sweet ingredients