PrintSend to friend
Malagapadi (or Molagu pudi) in South India is prepared and stored in containers to accompany dosa, idlis and rice even. This dish is a heady concoction of rice, malagapadi, roasted peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, coconut flakes and spices that simply must be eaten immediately!
1. Mix and dry roast all the ingredients. When roasted, powder and store in an air-tight container.
· Clean, wash and soak the rice for approx. 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
· Boil 5 cups of water, add the rice and cook till the rice is done, each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. Drain and discard the water and cool the rice.
· Roast the peanuts and sesame seeds separately and powder them coarsely
.· Heat the ghee, add the chana dal and mustard seeds and roast for 1 minute.
· Add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and cook for further ½ minute.
· Finally, add the cooked rice, coconut, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, malagapadi powder, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and salt and cook for a few minutes.
· Serve hot.