PrintSend to friend
Profile of the Farmer:
- Name of the Farmer : Thiru. R. Perumal
- Location: Kuthalam TK, Nagapattinam District, Tamilnadu
- Date of Birth and Age as on 31 January 2011 : 14.03.1956 (55 years)
- Educational Qualification: 6th Std
- Landholding (in hectare): One hectare
- Rice farming Experience (in years) : 30 yrs.
- Cropping system adopted by farmer : Rice-Rice-Pulses/Green Manures
DETAILS OF INNOVATION
Title and Nature of Innovation :
Description of innovation:
The Seed rate used was @1.25 kg/ha for Normal wetland nursery @12.5 cents area. The seedling age was 15 days and 40000 Seedling/ha was required for transplanting. A wider spacing @ 50cm X 50cm was followed. Due to the refinement of SRI technology drudgery was reduced and labour saving in transplanting and harvesting practices was observed. We achieved 40-100 productive tillers/hill, 100-400 grains/panicle and the crop yield benefit was upto 6250 – 10000kg/ha.
Problem Statement (How a particular problem was solved by the innovation):
- Reduce the seed cost in term of reduced seed rate
- Drudgery reduction and labour saving in transplanting and harvesting practices during the labour crisis periods
- Reduced labour and labour cost
- Less pest and disease incidence
- No lodging
- No rat damage
- Increased yield over conventional method
Process of technology development :
- Frequent visit was made to Tamil Nadu Rice Research Institute, Aduthurai and visited various field trials conducted by Department of Agriculture and interacted with the Scientist.
- Mini kit experiments were conducted over the past seven years in my field to fine tune the seed rate and spacing with help of TRRI and other scientist.
- Reducing the seed rates from 75 kg/ha to 1.25 kg/ha and adoption of wider spacing (50cm x 50cm) instead of 25cm x 25cm was attractive.
- No need of Rogueing
- Suitable for seed production
- More monitory return by mean of marketing paddy as seeds
Recognition for the innovation : Field trial were monitored by Agriculture Officer and scientist and the same was published in News paper, TV and radio etc.,