PrintSend to friend
1. Common name - Rice case worm.
2. Scientific name - Nymphula depunctalis.
3. Vernacular name - Nel kootu puzhu.
Symptom of damage of Rice case worm:
• Caterpillars feed on green tissues of the leaves and leave become whitish papery.
• Tubular cases around the tillers by cutting the apical portion of leaves.
• Floating of tubular cases on the water .
Identification of insect pest of Rice case worm:
• Larva - Pale translucent green with orange head.
• It has filamentous gills on the sides of the body.
• Adult: Moth is delicate white moth with pale brown wavy markings.
Management of Rice case worm:
• Drain the water.
• Dislodge the cases – running rope.
• Nursery - Mix 100 ml kerosene in standing water and spray endosulfan 35 EC 30 ml / 8 cents.
• Spray endosulfan 35 EC 1000 ml / ha or monocrotophos 36 WSC 500 ml / ha.